With the continued rise of eCommerce, selling on Amazon, and other marketplaces such as eBay, Alibaba, and Etsy have become popular for shoppers. Globally, 62% of eCommerce sales were made through online marketplaces in 2020. This highlights the massive growth potential for businesses that are considering selling on Amazon.
In other words, selling on Amazon gives you access to one of the biggest marketplaces in the world. There are a total of 9.7 million businesses worldwide advertising products to consumers. Amazon UK is the second largest by active sellers, with over 280,000 businesses using this platform to extend product reach. So, it’s definitely an invaluable platform for businesses who want to take their eCommerce strategy to the next level.
Amazon is not the only first choice for a lot of consumers, it seems to be the only choice. There’s a 70% higher conversion rate for Prime subscribers than the top 500 eCommerce sites.
Advantages to selling on Amazon
- Get discovered. According to research, 80% of consumers use Amazon to discover new products. This means there’s a massive opportunity for you to increase the visibility of your products.
- Build customer trust. 53% of consumers feel more comfortable buying from an unknown brand on Amazon than on any other store. This provides the opportunity to engage with new customers.
- Sell directly to consumers. With over 50% of all Amazon sales coming from third-party sellers, you can engage directly with your audience.
Meet Amazon best practices with product data
To develop a successful Amazon strategy, you must put the onus on your product information. This is because rich product data ensures that you meet Amazon’s specific requirements for listing products. Here are some of the best practices:
- Brands must only use official product information and not merchandising data such as price reductions.
- Every Amazon product detail page needs to include a title, description, images, product variations, and technical information.
- Help your customers understand your products and use clearly written descriptions with scannable bullet points
- All product images must match a product title, and should be a minimum of 1600 pixels (this allows for Zoom functionality). Products on Amazon with low-quality or few images suffer low conversion rates. Over time, they’ll appear less often in searches, so make sure you get your imagery on point.
- To sell your products on Amazon catalog, they need to match with a unique Amazon Standard Identification Number (ASIN). This is how Amazon tracks its inventory and index catalog pages for searching and browsing by product.
Techniques for successful Sales on Amazon
Improve visibility with optimized product data
Optimizing product information for search engines helps to surface the most relevant products for consumers who’re searching online.
Firstly, you need to carry out extensive keyword research to optimize product data in the right way. This will lead to an increase in the visibility of a product page. This involves determining relevant phrases that shoppers are looking for in search engines. You should then incorporate them into the page.
Keywords help consumers discover your products, so make sure these feature in your product titles. It also gives them an idea of what the item is even before they get to the page. It’s important to follow Amazon best practices with titles to ensure products are displayed clearly in search engines.
In addition to this, optimizing a page with search engine-friendly product information means you’ll be eligible for rewards like theAmazon Choice Badge. Because the badge relies on specific keywords and filters out the most relevant items in a search, consumers are more likely to find products with this distinction.
Develop engaging product content
Utilize eye-catching product content to ensure your products stand out on Amazon. For instance, this might involve creating a story-driven description that shares the benefits and features of an item.
Using bullet points on product detail pages is an excellent way of addressing customer questions. This also emphasizes key points in a scannable format, which is really important when customers are just browsing. Use your product descriptions to set yourself apart from the competition, especially if they’re selling similar products to you.
It’s also worth tapping into the power of digital assets to create a more immersive customer experience. Amazon allows the display of seven to nine product photos, and they should all be high-quality. Consider providing photos from multiple angles to highlight key features and give customers more context.
With over 404 million consumers visiting Amazon every month, brands must look for ways to stand out from the competition.
One way is to invest in Amazon’s Enhanced Brand Content (EBC). This provides pre-built templates with additional features for product descriptions. As an example, a beauty retailer could use Amazon EBC to feature additional banners, tables, and interactive imagery. This instantly grabs your customer’s attention as soon as they land on your product page.
Another way to stand out is by joining the Fulfillment By Amazon (FBA) program. This means you can ship products with fast Amazon Prime delivery options. 88% of shoppers are willing to pay more for faster delivery. Establish yourself as a reliable seller and increase sales with a delivery service that will delight customers.
Bundling also provides added value for customers. A great Amazon product bundle consists of multiple single items that can be identified by a unique ASIN code. Therefore, bundling products in the right way will enable you to dominate the Buy Box.
Encourage your customer to add extra items to purchase from their cart. Not only will this drive more sales, you can also clear out old stock and make room for new products.
Create exceptional product experiences on Amazon
Start selling on Amazon and improve the customer experience, offering engaging content, and providing the right products at the right time. Rich product data is vital for holding a consumer’s attention on Amazon. Delight them with content that keeps them coming back for an exceptional shopping experience.
Overall, branching out into new online marketplaces can put brands on the path towards connecting with new customers. Pimberly’s functionality is designed to enable our customers to curate great online experiences on marketplaces like Amazon. If you’re looking to ramp up your Amazon activity – find out how a PIM solution could help!
Looking to refine your Amazon strategy? Book your free demo today and find out how Pimberly will help
*We always want to make sure we deliver the highest quality content, which is why we updated this blog in June 2021. This blog was originally published in 2019.