Most online shoppers decide whether to purchase your goods or abandon your store on your product page. Customers will get that far with compelling product...
Table of contents
What is PIM?
A PIM system is a central repository where you can gather, store, enrich and distribute all your product data. Having this single location for all product content means it’s easy to create a single source of truth across the board. You can import your data and digital assets from unlimited data feeds, both internal and external. Then, you can publish your channel-specif product content to your various sales channels. Overall, it’s an essential tool in eCommerce that enables you to deliver amazing product experiences.
With PIM, product information and digital asset management are rapid and efficient.
Whether you’re B2B, B2C, or D2C, PIM will enable you to:
What is a cloud-based PIM solution?
A cloud-based PIM solution is hosted off-site by a third party. For instance, that might be Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google. Because it’s cloud-based, you don’t need to worry about having tons of servers. Moreover, the cloud offers massive storage capabilities for all your product data and digital assets.
Because it’s hosted on the internet or via an application, you don’t have to download or install it on your devices. Important to note is that you can access all the data in your PIM from anywhere, at any time, provided you have a secure internet connection. This is why going with the cloud was a no-brainer when we set out to create the planet’s most powerful product information management platform.
Who benefits from using a PIM?
In eCommerce, effective collaboration across departments is a vital part of ensuring you deliver the best possible online experiences. To craft extraordinary online experiences, you’ll need input from different teams at different stages of the product lifecycle. Here’s an overview of the different businesses and teams that will benefit from using a PIM:
- Product managers
- Sales & Marketing teams
- eCommerce specialists
- IT managers
There are loads of PIM solutions on the market, ranging from open source PIM to SaaS PIM. Traditional PIMs, especially open source PIMs, require a lot of time and resources to install. Pimberly stands ahead of the rest because our powerful technology means we don’t take up unnecessary time or resources. Instead, users have instant access via the Amazon Cloud.
What is the Amazon Cloud?
The Amazon Cloud is a stable, reliable, and secure cloud services platform. It offers powerful storage and content delivery solutions. Hundreds of thousands of businesses worldwide rely on the Amazon Cloud.
The key feature of any cloud computing system is how easy it is to access. You can access it from various devices, including mobiles and tablets, provided you have a stable internet connection. In other words, there’s no need to stay connected to a specific server to access data with the Amazon Cloud.
The platform caters to an array of different cloud computing models. With different levels of control, the cloud enables you to build applications the way you want. In addition, the cloud also manages infrastructure, which means there’s an added layer of security.
What are the advantages of cloud PIM software?
The cloud capabilities of Pimberly are its strongest features. It uses the same multi-billion pound technology that big brands like Netflix and Dropbox have, so we’re well placed to help you scale your eCommerce operations. In other words, the solution grows as your business requirements grow. Massive storage capabilities mean the sky is the limit in terms of the amount of data and digital assets you can store and manage. Powerful automation means you can always ensure your data quality is second to none, and any changes reflect across your sales channels in real-time.
Key features of Amazon Cloud
- Security – When using a platform to manage your business operations, security will always be front of mind. With Amazon Cloud, you’ll have total confidence in the security of all your data. Physical, operational, and software measures ensure infrastructure is completely secure.
- Reliability – Gone are the days of poorly built, unreliable software systems prone to crashing. The Cloud is the most secure and reliable global computing infrastructure. It powers one of the biggest eCommerce marketplaces in the world; Amazon.com.
- Flexibility – The Cloud enables the migration of existing applications. There are also customization opportunities so you can tailor it to your specific business requirements. You can select services such as platform, database, and other options needed for the application.
- High performance – Amazon’s huge infrastructure backs the platform, so there are no limits in terms of what you can do. This means you’ve got quick and easy access to storage and computer resources as and when you need them.
Security is a must when it comes to handling and processing product data. Cloud security is now seen as one of the most reliable forms of IT security available. This is because it eliminates the risk of systems breaking down, so your digital commerce operations will never be interrupted.
The cloud is a central security system, so you can say goodbye to constant updates and various different security platforms. Because it’s so easy to update the Cloud, it will always be in line with the latest cybersecurity legislation.
All devices and networks connected to the Cloud are centrally protected. Therefore, you can use any device to safely access documents and data whenever and wherever you need to.
Advantages of cloud computing
- Cost-efficient – The cloud is available at a much lower cost than desktop software solutions. It’s also much easier to install, use, and maintain. This means your IT teams don’t have to worry about the upkeep of the software.
- Unlimited storage – For large businesses processing huge amounts of data, having enough storage is crucial. The Cloud provides unlimited storage, so you never have to worry about running out of space.
- Accessibility – Once your data is uploaded to the Cloud, you can access it anywhere, any time. Provided you have a device that supports an internet connection, you’re good to go!
- Backup – With all data stored in the Cloud, it’s much easier to back it up and recover it. When you compare this to storing data on a physical device, it’s so much more simple and reduces the risk of losing files.
Why Pimberly uses the cloud & how it benefits users
In the past, setting up new PIM software could take months. If it wasn’t Cloud-based, you’d have to source new servers. If it was open-source, you’d need to make sure you had a dedicated team of skilled developers on hand.
In some cases, you’d need to open up your network using VPNs or other costly technologies to provide third-party access. The types of people who became involved include:
As Cloud PIM software, Pimberly takes away all that hard work. It doesn’t matter if you manage 3000 or 30,000 products. The platform is scalable, so it will grow as your business requirements grow.
With old-style software, upgrading or adding new features was often a hassle. For instance, you may have needed to make software updates or reinstallations on new infrastructure. With Cloud PIM software, all you need is access to a modern browser.
From there, it’s a case of entering login details and then you’ve got instant access to all your product data and digital assets. Any updates to the platform and new features are automatically delivered to users. You’ll always have the most up-to-date version of the software, so there’s no need for costly upgrades.
Cloud PIM software will overcome the challenges faced when adapting to rapid expansion. As catalogs and users increase within an on-premise client-server PIM, requirements get more demanding.
Servers and infrastructure age, so the performance of the technology behind PIM will fall behind. Because of this, you’ll eventually need new hardware or software. With a cloud-based PIM, none of that is an issue.
A typical large retail eCommerce installation
In large retail organizations, installing new PIM solutions can often take a lot of time and resources. Multiple teams have to install assets such as new servers. This is due to the many terabytes of storage and power that fuel the software. Some of the people to get involved include:
- Technical architects
- Infrastructure architects
- Security architects
- Linux, STEP, and Oracle experts
Overall, these huge installation projects can cost upwards of half a million dollars. The alternative? A Cloud-based SaaS PIM which completely eliminates every single issue mentioned:
- No infrastructure is required, which results in huge cost and time savings
- An even bigger reduction in cost over time as you’re only dealing with operating expenses. You aren’t dealing with initial capital expenditure. This can lead to more capital outlays as you encounter costly updates throughout the software’s lifecycle
- An incredibly fast setup means you can get started straight away
- Outsourcing security issues to Amazon Web Services (AWS). You won’t have to deal with it personally
- As AWS hosts everything, there’s no strain placed on your network by suppliers or customers. The cloud bears the burden rather than your network
The cloud vs installation software
|Installation software||The Cloud|
|Long installation and setup times.||Instantly available through your existing browser.|
|Storage space and processing speeds rely on your server/PC.||Infinite power and unlimited storage on the cloud.|
|Slow servers or infrastructure means data processing will be slow. This means there will be poor workflow.||The cloud’s power means a speedy processing time. There aren’t any bottlenecks and you’ll have an efficient workflow.|
|Installed locally, on a company’s own computers and servers. Difficult to access on the move.||Available anywhere in the world and on any device. All you need is a modern browser and an internet connection.|
The world’s most powerful cloud PIM solution
When we created Pimberly, we wanted to give our customers the power to scale their eCommerce operations easily and efficiently. We knew that the advantages of PIM cloud solutions would lend themselves to that mantra.
We offer unlimited storage space for all your product information and digital assets. As your product range grows, the platform will grow with you and won’t create a barrier to growth. You can process and enrich product descriptions in real-time, so you’re always offering your customers the best possible online experience. Say goodbye to bottlenecks and delays!
When we say the sky is the limit, we really mean it. Looking to set up a new sales channel? No problem – it can be done in a few simple clicks.
Features include scoping and localization capabilities. So, if international expansion is on the horizon, let Pimberly get you there.
Of course, the intuitive software doesn’t come down 100% to Amazon’s Cloud. The design of Pimberly is absolutely key when it comes to ease of use and efficiency. The system processes data using a cluster of NoSQL document databases, with dynamic schemas.
We boast the world’s most powerful cloud PIM software, and it’s guaranteed to take your eCommerce strategy to the next level!